1921 – 1930

In 1921, Theodor Gräbener, together with eight other shareholders, founded the company Gräbener & Comp. Siegen located in Netphen-Werthenbach, a company for heavy iron and steel plate constructions. Even the first product range was extensive: Pipes of all types for blast furnaces and steel works, for instance gas and blast pipes, cowpers, gas purification, turbine ducts and water tanks in riveted and welded design, iron constructions, assembly and dismantling works.

In the middle of the 20ies, Gräbener & Comp. already had 150 employees.

1931 – 1940

The production program was extended continuously: Civil engineering and bridge construction, high-pressure steam boilers and vessels as well as the manufacturing of large pipes and the assembly of pipelines were added to the production program.

Henceforth, the construction of hoisting machines for pipe mills, roller conveyors, barrel extruders etc. were part of the product range. During this time, the production of railway transport vessels was started.

1941 – 1950

During World War II, the company mainly manufactured railway transport vessels. Over the years, more than 16,000 vessels were built.

The post-war period above all was characterized by vast efforts of reconstruction so that the first heavy goods trucks loaded with vessels left the workshop in 1948 already.

1951 – 1960

Whereas in the beginning of the 50ies steel and vessel constructions as well as assembly works were the main business, and the new program of the more general machine construction according to customers' drawings already achieved considerable turnover, the second generation - the brothers Theodor and Hermann Gräbener - laid the foundation for a machine construction according to their own technical designs.

The independent machine program soon comprised heavy plate shears with a cutting capacity of 25 mm, double-column crank presses, eccentric presses, press-brakes and toggle lever presses. In 1955, the number of employees was around 310. In the very same year, company founder Theodor Gräbener passed away.

At the end of 1958, Gräbener concentrated on the massive forming and stamping technology in the business field of machine construction.

1961 – 1970

Gräbener constructed single- and double-column presses of various designs, soon achieved an excellent reputation as "toggle lever specialist" and supplied presses with automation and transfer units.

Henceforth, the export share of the machine construction increased more and more. In the middle of the 60ies, the export share was at 42 percent. The independent press construction was developed consistently; an absolute bestseller was the minting press.

1971 – 1980

In 1974, Gräbener starts with the manufacturing of LSAW-pipes.

In 1980, Gräbener founded the first foreign sales company, "Graebener Pressen Inc." in Ashtabula (Ohio, USA).

At the end of 1980, the sales of apparatuses and vessels was stopped, the assembly works, still mainly concentrated on the apparatus construction, were reduced drastically and a new position as a service provider for the steel industry in the Ruhr district was taken.

In 1980, Dr. Theodor Gräbener, representing the third generation, joined the company.

1981 – 1990

In 1983/84, the production of large pipes was optimized consistently.

In 1983, Theodor Gräbener KG acquired a share of 52 percent in the company Wilhelm Schäfer GmbH & Co. KG, a renowned manufacturer of 3-roll bending machines.

On January 1, 1985, Theodor Gräbener KG was separated into two new companies, namely Theodor Gräbener Pressensysteme GmbH & Co. KG and Theodor Gräbener Großrohr GmbH & Co. KG. The assembly works in the Ruhr district were assigned to Gräbener Großrohr GmbH & Co. KG.

Theodor Gräbener Pressensysteme GmbH & Co. KG focused on the production and further improvement of the toggle lever and minting presses and achieved an equally strong market position as the market leader Schuler. The contract dated December 13, 1988 ultimately closed the sale of the company branch to Schuler.

1991 – 2000

In view of the disappearance of the Eastern borders and the starting globalization, Dr. Theodor Gräbener decided to drop out of the production of large pipes. In 1996, he sold all pipe mill equipment to Indonesia and purchased shares in the newly founded pipe manufacturing company PT DSAW on Batam island.

In 1997, the Graebener Group was founded in Netphen-Werthenbach. From then on, Theodor Gräbener GmbH & Co. KG merely functioned as a holding company. In cooperation with the company Schrupp from Betzdorf, a company in the sector of hydraulic units with about 120 employees, the company Hydroline-Schrupp was set up, which today is an absolute subsidiary of Theodor Gräbener GmbH & Co. KG.

On July 25, 1997, the company Gräbener Maschinentechnik GmbH & Co. KG was founded, and the first employees were hired. The company was quick in growth and today has become the most significant company within the entire Graebener Group.

At the end of 1997, the company Gräbener became the principle shareholder of H. Kleinknecht & Co. GmbH with around 160 employees. The essential cornerstones "hydraulics" and "electrics" within the network of the "virtual factory" Graebener Group were set.

In September 1999, the Graebener Group moved to a new office and communication centre in Werthenbach, which was built for its new U.S. American joint venture Verson-Pressentechnik. Dieter Kapp joined the Theodor-Gräbener-Holding as shareholder.

2001 – 2010

In June 2001, Theodor Gräbener GmbH & Co. KG took over the shares in the company Verson Pressentechnik previously owned by the U.S. American press manufacturer VERSON (Chicago) and the U.S. American blanking line manufacturer Automatic Feed Company, AFCO (Napoleon, Ohio).

At the beginning of 2004, the company REIKA GmbH & Co. KG (Hagen), a manufacturer of machines and lines for the pipe and bar processing, was acquired and integrated into the group.

In 2006, Theodor Gräbener GmbH & Co. KG, together with AFCO and today's President Rich Marando, founded the company Graebener Group Technologies Inc. (GGT). Today, this company successfully markets the products of the Graebener Group and provides services in the U.S.

In 2001, GMT initiated a revolution in the shipbuilding industry by supplying a fully automated Tailor-Welded-Plates (TWP®) system to the Meyer shipyard in Papenburg. After Gräbener plate milling machines have prepared the weld seams, the TWP®-system manufactures ship deck sections of up to 400 m² from single plates of different thickness using the laser hybrid welding process.

In February 2006, the machine "PowerBoxx®" for the production of metallic separator plates was presented and the course for fuel cell technology as a new business sector was set.

In 2010, GMT set another milestone in the sector of shipbuilding by supplying a second TWP®-system to the Meyer shipyard (installation area approximately 2,300 m²). This system is identical to the first system, however, was improved significantly for the production of deck sections of up to 750 m² using a disc laser.

2011 – today

In July 2011, Graebener celebrated the 90th anniversary together with the neighboring company Graebener Pressensystem which is a member of the Schuler-Group.

Also in July of this year, Johannes Remmel, Minister of Climate Protection of NRW visited GMT and received an in-depth overview of the advanced development level of the fuel cell technology at GMT.

At the beginning of 2012, the U.S. company Graebener Group Technologies Inc. changed its name into Graebener-Reika Inc. (GRI). The company also moved its headquarters from Napoleon, Ohio to Reading, Pennsylvania.

Today, the Graebener Group employs more than 320 people. The intercompany affairs of the group are handled by a board of three managers:

 

 Dr. Theodor Gräbener (Strategies/Shares)

 Dieter Kapp (Technology/Development)

 Rainer Saßmann (Controlling/Finances)

Nach oben

LinksKleinknechtReikaHydrolineGGT